Monday, June 23, 2008

grilled broccoli

broccoli with garlic and chiles
grilling broccoli chile oil

I wanted to try something different with my fresh broccoli harvest. I found this nice post at The Grown Diaries on Spicy Grilled Broccoli. My version is the same idea, but a little different. I used dried chiles from last year's garden and some chile oil we made by soaking dried chiles in olive oil. I also used a bunch of broccoli leaves.

Recipe: Separate broccoli leaves and heads. Chop leaves and slice heads into 1/4 inch slices. Combine broccoli and leaves with 2 cloves chopped garlic and 1 chopped dried cayenne chile pepper. Add about 1 Tbs chile oil. Mix and let sit about 30 minutes. Grill the broccoli heads on a hot fire in a grilling pan until tender, then add the leaves and grill until the leaves wilt. Season with salt to taste.

Just to be clear, it was my husband who figured out how to grill this dish. I just handed him the raw vegetables. He did the rest.

I thought this was really delicious. Even the leaves! I think I'll try the same thing with some kale soon.

chile and bell peppers (Capsicum)
Skippy's vegetable recipes


Brassicaceae

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK the grilled broccoli looks incredibly good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to my Grilled Broccoli post, because it caused me to realize my photos were broken on that page! :) Anyhow, they're now fixed. Thanks again!

kathy said...

Oh good. I'll go back and see the pictures. Nice blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The grilled broccoli looks delicious. Thanks for the great idea.

kathy said...

We ate it with grilled local pork (from Stillman's Turkey Farm) and a merlot. On the patio. Yummy.

Tina said...

Mmmmmm, this sounds delicious. Will try it soon! We usually only steam broccoli.

Anonymous said...

I love grilled broc. I'm growing broc this fall.