Thursday, June 19, 2008

today's harvest

harvest pea havest
This is what I found in the garden today. Since it was also the first day of our local Farmer's Market, our dinner plates were almost 100% local food. I bought local bread and kielbasa to go with my fresh peas, lettuce and other vegetables. Delicious.

I specially enjoyed the baby carrots. I had to thin my carrot patch a bit. I left the teeny ones out for the rabbit, but the larger ones were really nice in our salad. They have a nice sweet fresh orangy flavor.

My dad sent me some information about carrots today. As an EDM himself (elderly Dutch man - the population studied), he found this very encouraging. I'll have to bring him some of my carrots soon!


Daucus carota

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My carrots have a nice dirt flavor. Probably because that is all that is there is the dirt. They didn't like me therefore they didn't come up. Hmmm?

kathy said...

Oh Tim, that's so sad. Carrots sprout slowly and can't dry out during sprouting. But it does help if they like their gardener.