This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, June 07, 2008


prizehead at plot
red summer crisp lettuce seedlings handful of lettuce
colander with fresh lettuce cheers
Lots of lettuce! I started harvesting it last week and have been able to keep the salad bowl full so far without buying supermarket lettuce. I'll see how long I can keep this up.

I am finding that there are differences between the lettuce grown at home and the lettuce grown at the community plot. The lettuce in my home garden is a little bit more bitter and more limp. The community garden lettuce is a bit sweeter and crisper. My community plot gets much more sun.

I am continuing to plant more lettuce every few weeks. This week I seeded two small trays of Red Summer Crisp. This is a Batavian type lettuce that does well in the summer heat.

Lactuca sativa



Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden