Saturday, June 07, 2008

lettuce

prizehead at plot
red summer crisp lettuce seedlings handful of lettuce
colander with fresh lettuce cheers
Lots of lettuce! I started harvesting it last week and have been able to keep the salad bowl full so far without buying supermarket lettuce. I'll see how long I can keep this up.

I am finding that there are differences between the lettuce grown at home and the lettuce grown at the community plot. The lettuce in my home garden is a little bit more bitter and more limp. The community garden lettuce is a bit sweeter and crisper. My community plot gets much more sun.

I am continuing to plant more lettuce every few weeks. This week I seeded two small trays of Red Summer Crisp. This is a Batavian type lettuce that does well in the summer heat.

Lactuca sativa

No comments: