Monday, June 16, 2008

harvest

harvest
Plenty of lettuce, radish and green onions. A bit of broccoli. And a fava bean! My first one. I went ahead and picked it even though its too small - about 5 inches. I wanted to try it. Actually it didn't taste ripe. I'll let the rest get bigger.

Fava beans should be picked when the pods are 6-8 inches long, filled out with beans, but still green. Here's the recipe for grilled favas I'm really looking forward to trying.
Vicia faba
harvests from my vegetable gardens

4 comments:

gintoino said...

I've been curous about this grilled fava beans ever since you mentioned it in your blog . Thank you for the recipe, I hadn't been able to find it. I'll have to try it next year when I grow fava beans again.

Chiot's Run said...

That's funny I was just looking at my broccoli yesterday wondering if it was just going to be small (due to the heat). I guess I'll wait a while longer.

Love your dog by the way - cute as can be!

Anonymous said...

We just got our first roma tomato the other day. The garden got started a bit late but the season in long here. I would have had more to brag about but the squirrels got the rest. Love your blog.

kathy said...

Its impossible to keep squirrels out of the garden.

Congratulations on the first roma! I looking forward to mine next month.