This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Monday, June 16, 2008

harvest

harvest
Plenty of lettuce, radish and green onions. A bit of broccoli. And a fava bean! My first one. I went ahead and picked it even though its too small - about 5 inches. I wanted to try it. Actually it didn't taste ripe. I'll let the rest get bigger.

Fava beans should be picked when the pods are 6-8 inches long, filled out with beans, but still green. Here's the recipe for grilled favas I'm really looking forward to trying.
Vicia faba
harvests from my vegetable gardens

4 Comments:

Blogger gintoino said...

I've been curous about this grilled fava beans ever since you mentioned it in your blog . Thank you for the recipe, I hadn't been able to find it. I'll have to try it next year when I grow fava beans again.

June 17, 2008 12:08 PM

 
Blogger Susy said...

That's funny I was just looking at my broccoli yesterday wondering if it was just going to be small (due to the heat). I guess I'll wait a while longer.

Love your dog by the way - cute as can be!

June 17, 2008 12:58 PM

 
Anonymous Tim said...

We just got our first roma tomato the other day. The garden got started a bit late but the season in long here. I would have had more to brag about but the squirrels got the rest. Love your blog.

June 19, 2008 3:23 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Its impossible to keep squirrels out of the garden.

Congratulations on the first roma! I looking forward to mine next month.

June 20, 2008 6:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden