Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Delicata squash seeds

delicata seeds

I wasn't planning to grow Delicata again, but I've changed my mind. Last night I baked two little squashes grown in my community plot last summer. Fantastic. Sweet and smooth. I've never tired this variety and didn't expect it to be so good. I'm used to Acorn, which has stringer flesh and a squashier taste.

So I've edited my planting list yet again. I think I'll grow Delicata and Butternut this year for winter squashes.

The Delicata seeds I grew this year were from a package my neighbor shared with me labeled "Delicata Honey Boat" from Botanical Interests. This is an open pollinated, heirloom variety so I saved my seeds. I grew two plants last year and got two squashes. I think I'll put in 4 or 5 plants this year.

Baker Creek's description:
Honey Boat Delicata
(C. pepo) One of the sweetest squash varieties in existance. Oblong, Delicata shaped squash have tan skin with green stripes. Excellent quality; early. Developed by Dr. James Bagget, Oregon State University.

5 comments:

pjkobulnicky said...

Kathy ... we both had winter squash on our minds. I just wrote about it too ( http://pjkobulnicky.wordpress.com )

Happy Holidays to you and all of your readers.

Paul

ps ... my son is in Providence and slept at his job (Seven Stars Bakery) for two nights because of the snows.

Wayne Stratz said...

great seed photo.

it is hard to break away from our favorites. at work my friends so love Diva cucumbers that I grow them every year.

Anonymous said...

Delicata is one of my favs, but I haven't had the confidence to try them. Do you find them difficult to manage? Butternut squash might just be my top squash, any tips? I love seed catalogs and all the planning this time of year, and reading your blog fuels that (wonderful) fire.

kathy said...

My Delicata vines grew well last year. I didn't do any thing special. They climbed up my fence. The vines weren't very big. More like a cucumber vine. I'll try to give them more compost this year.

I've never grown Butternut before. Lots of other gardens grow it at our community garden. Of course both squashes need lots of sun.

Anonymous said...

I am growing Cornell's Bush Delicata from Johnny's this year along with a few others. Their standard delicata is suppost to yield 5-7 fruits/plant. Based on this ussumption I was going to grow 3 of this variety- BUT after reading your experience I am not so sure now. Hmm...

Oh, and the sweet dumpling variety are so tempting as well. Many of the catalogs carry those. Small but high yeilding and perfect to trellis.

Here is to hoping those SVB's leave our squash alone!