This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

sunflowers in their glory

sunflower 4 sunflower 8
sunflower 1 sunflower 6
sunflower 7
sunflower2 sunflower 9

I think the sunflowers may be my favorite!

And this year the gardens have a lot of variety. Dark and light. Giant ones and minis. Single and doubles. I like how they glow in the 6 pm light.

All of these are from other peoples plots. None of my sunflowers grew this year.



Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy - your pictures are so very pretty, especially capturing the happy flowers in the evening sun. Good luck with the seed swap!
- Daisy and Pixie

September 15, 2009 1:15 AM

Blogger Salix said...

Love the "fuzzy" one at the top. Do you know what variety it is?

September 15, 2009 12:36 PM

Blogger kathy said...

Those are Jennifer's sunflowers. I'll ask her soon.

September 15, 2009 1:22 PM

Blogger Dan said...

Great shots, I like the puffy one at the top right the best.

September 15, 2009 1:42 PM

Blogger Rosey Pollen said...

Such pretty sunflowers, they immediately caught my eye! Good job!

September 15, 2009 1:43 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow they will be getting some good and tasty sunflower treats pretty soon by the looks!

September 15, 2009 2:10 PM

Blogger kathy said...

Jennifer thinks the fluffy ones are these from Seed Savers Exchange.

As she said "I'm so glad we planted them - there's something satisfying about growing something so big!" Definitely true.

September 15, 2009 5:36 PM

Blogger kathy said...

I wonder how many people eat their sunflower seeds. I think they're mostly grown as ornamentals and for birds. The birds are sure enjoying the gardens now.

Last year I made salted roasted sunflower seeds and they were nice, but not crisp enough for me. Plus only half the seeds had a kernel inside.

September 15, 2009 5:46 PM

Blogger Salix said...

Thanks Kathy, I've made a note to buy those seeds next year.

September 15, 2009 6:09 PM

Blogger Janet Glaser said...

I heard for the first time in my life that sunflowers always grow facing east. I was especially made aware of this when our humongous sunflower in our flower bed turned toward the house and faced it the entire time. It faced east! I always thought their faces followed the sun.

September 16, 2009 11:35 AM

Blogger Tina said...

I love sunflowers, too! So many different varieties and each is a beauty on her own. So bright, especially on greyer days of early fall. I am not sure if I leave mine until the birds have eaten all the seeds, or if I take them down and give them back to the birds in winter.

September 17, 2009 11:27 AM

Blogger Mrs. Finch said...


Mine grew facing all directions, even north! The biggest heads were the tallest, and most of them faced west - they always looked so beautiful facing the setting sun.

September 17, 2009 3:50 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden