This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

winter reading

my bookshelf

Here is my bookshelf. I bought most of these back in the fall when it started to look like winter was coming after all.

Unfortunately, I'm an incredibly slow reader. I pick up a book and by the time I figure out where I left off, I fall asleep. I've been reading Micheal Pollen's Omnivore's Dilemma" forever now. It seems a steamy romantic novel should follow this.... Don't see any of those on this shelf. Oh well. Not sure which I will pick up next.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

OOOHHH! Read Animal, Vegitable, Miracle next! It is a great book.

Lori

December 13, 2008 7:55 AM

 
Anonymous Claire said...

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is one of my favorites - my copy has seen a lot of abuse!

December 13, 2008 9:58 PM

 
Blogger jms said...

I'd be interested to hear other gardening book recommendations!

~Jain

December 13, 2008 10:26 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Well, I have already read Animal Vegetable. Very good (at putting me to sleep at night). (It actually seemed like a lecture on stuff I didn't really need to hear about - not sure why I felt this way.... I was hoping for more of a gardening story than opinions.)

Gardeners Bible is super. Lots of fantastic info. I have a thing about tabulated garden info. I LOVE it!

My favorite book is not on my shelf, because I can't seem to find it. Great Garden Companions by Sarah Jean Cunningham. An excellent book!

December 13, 2008 10:41 PM

 
Blogger Adriana said...

It took me weeks to get through Pollan's "Farmer in Chief" article. I found his Bill Moyer's interview more interesting.

December 15, 2008 5:37 PM

 
Blogger amw said...

I found Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to be pretty exasperating, too. So preachy! And I say this as someone who's already a member of the damn choir.

Love the Martini book's prominent placement.

December 15, 2008 10:32 PM

 
Blogger Carol said...

Have you read Joan Dye Gussow's This Organic Life? She is pretty wonderful. Anything written by Michael Pollan is excellent. I didnt care for Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable etc ---boring and self congratulatory (but then that is probably how I sound about MY garden).

December 16, 2008 12:38 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out Gussow's This Organic Life. I also printed out the Moyer-Pollen interview to read someday.

I hear we have some winter weather coming. I'll just sit in my chair by the fire and read.... wishful thinking

December 16, 2008 9:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden