Saturday, August 30, 2008

community garden plot update

my plot

I missed going to my garden today with other activities to occupy us. I'm looking forward to a visit tomorrow.

I'm trying to water the garden well daily. We aren't getting much rain and I planted so many seeds earlier this week. I want to make sure they get a good start.

I have a nice crop of basil, ready to be harvested. It will make a good project for tomorrow. We'll cut it down, Pull off the leaves, process, then add olive oil pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and salt. It all goes into baggies and then into the freezer. Just in time. Our pesto from last year is running low. Here's our pesto recipe.

I also want to check on the beans. I have a few varieties of shell beans that have been looking pretty plump. Black Turtle soup, Tongue of Fire and Flagrano (French flageolet). These are new crops for me. It will be fun to experiment. I have been reading about shell beans:

In order to obtain fresh seeds the pods have to be harvested when well filled but still green. Only a few varieties of Phaseolus can be easily shelled at that point. They fall into the generic name of "horticultural beans" or "shelling beans" in America, are known as green-shell-beans. The Italian Borlotti (light & dark brown seed) and Cannellini (white seed) are probably the best known of this type around the world. To obtain semi-dried seeds the whole plant can be pulled up and hanged upside down in a shed to dry ( this will limit infection by diseases such as Anthracnose which could spoil a number of seeds on non resistant varieties ), and the pods picked when a dull green and feeling dry to the touch. If the plants are left in the ground the pod colour may be closer to gray rather than green and the harvest period for this specific purpose slightly reduced. Any seed past the semi-dry stage can be consumed dried so nothing is lost... except the colour and freshness. (copied from Univ. of Melbourne)


Fresh, shelled beans are good in soups, stews, and casseroles, but also delicious simply boiled until tender, and served with a little butter or olive oil, salt/pepper or herbs. (copied from OM Organics)



I also am enjoying the big cream colored marigolds. These are really nice for cutting.

And my big pumpkin and birdhouse gourd are ripening very fast. Who knows, maybe tomorrow will be the day for picking them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My water melons have been destroyed from the frost last year. But we'll see how this year goes