Friday, August 22, 2008

new potato and summer squash casserole

Copy of IMG_8229

This is a fantastic casserole that I have made a few times now. Its a recipe I made up myself to use the abundant items in my refrigerator. I could eat it every night!

Prepare:
Freshly dug potatoes, any variety, washed and sliced thin (about 1/8 inch)
Summer squash, I like to use mostly yellow varieties, sliced about 1/4-1/2 inch

Layer into a baking dish:
potato slices
squash slices
salt and pepper
butter slices
repeat layers until all vegetables are used (or dish is full...)

Top with:
Grated mild melting cheese about 1/2 cup (gouda, jack or mozzarella)
Fresh bread crumbs (a good thick layer)
Grated parmigiana cheese
Salt and pepper

Add:
Milk (I use skim). Pour this into the side of the casserole dish until it reaches half way up the side.

Bake:
At 375 until its done. About 30 minutes. You can microwave it a bit first to speed up the cooking.

13 comments:

Waylena said...

That is the yummiest looking casserole I've ever seen. Next year, I'm definitely going to try growing potatoes and squash.

kathy said...

I'm sure its good with store bought too, but, of course, there's nothing better than homegrown.

Anonymous said...

That does sound good. But those of us with failed zucchini crops can still go to a local farmer instead of the grocery store. I get my potatoes from a local organic grower and they're delicious.

kathy said...

Its all good! (Have a martini too.)

Waylena said...

Kathy, on the way home last night I did indeed stop to buy some squash to go with the potatoes we'd bought. I had all the other ingredients, so... It was super-yummy!

Thank you for the fantastic recipe.

kathy said...

Oh I glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

What a good idea! I went scavenging in the fridge and, with your recipe as my guide, made layers of summer squash, zucchini, yukon golds, onion and left-over chopped ham. The only cheese I had was provolone. It was great! Thanks for the idea - Daisy

kathy said...

I was thinking of adding onions too. I bet this was delicious!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering just looking at the photos. I will definitely have to try this one!

Gina said...

kathy - this looks amazing! i think I'll make this tonight using my only 2 zucchini! Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

I finally made this recipe. It was great! Thanks.

Katrina @ Lardon My French said...

This looks so good! Going to try it out tomorrow!!

kathy said...

My favorite August recipe (well one of them). I am looking forward to making this again soon!