This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Friday, August 22, 2008

new potato and summer squash casserole

Copy of IMG_8229

This is a fantastic casserole that I have made a few times now. Its a recipe I made up myself to use the abundant items in my refrigerator. I could eat it every night!

Prepare:
Freshly dug potatoes, any variety, washed and sliced thin (about 1/8 inch)
Summer squash, I like to use mostly yellow varieties, sliced about 1/4-1/2 inch

Layer into a baking dish:
potato slices
squash slices
salt and pepper
butter slices
repeat layers until all vegetables are used (or dish is full...)

Top with:
Grated mild melting cheese about 1/2 cup (gouda, jack or mozzarella)
Fresh bread crumbs (a good thick layer)
Grated parmigiana cheese
Salt and pepper

Add:
Milk (I use skim). Pour this into the side of the casserole dish until it reaches half way up the side.

Bake:
At 375 until its done. About 30 minutes. You can microwave it a bit first to speed up the cooking.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger waystar said...

That is the yummiest looking casserole I've ever seen. Next year, I'm definitely going to try growing potatoes and squash.

August 22, 2008 5:50 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

I'm sure its good with store bought too, but, of course, there's nothing better than homegrown.

August 22, 2008 7:27 PM

 
Anonymous Heather's Garden said...

That does sound good. But those of us with failed zucchini crops can still go to a local farmer instead of the grocery store. I get my potatoes from a local organic grower and they're delicious.

August 22, 2008 8:02 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Its all good! (Have a martini too.)

August 22, 2008 10:31 PM

 
Blogger waystar said...

Kathy, on the way home last night I did indeed stop to buy some squash to go with the potatoes we'd bought. I had all the other ingredients, so... It was super-yummy!

Thank you for the fantastic recipe.

August 23, 2008 9:20 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Oh I glad you liked it!

August 23, 2008 10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good idea! I went scavenging in the fridge and, with your recipe as my guide, made layers of summer squash, zucchini, yukon golds, onion and left-over chopped ham. The only cheese I had was provolone. It was great! Thanks for the idea - Daisy

August 23, 2008 10:06 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

I was thinking of adding onions too. I bet this was delicious!

August 23, 2008 10:38 PM

 
Anonymous Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

My mouth is watering just looking at the photos. I will definitely have to try this one!

August 24, 2008 5:10 AM

 
Blogger Gina said...

kathy - this looks amazing! i think I'll make this tonight using my only 2 zucchini! Thanks for the recipe!

August 24, 2008 8:48 AM

 
Blogger Chassity said...

I finally made this recipe. It was great! Thanks.

January 25, 2009 1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Katrina @ Lardon My French said...

This looks so good! Going to try it out tomorrow!!

April 28, 2012 9:45 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

My favorite August recipe (well one of them). I am looking forward to making this again soon!

August 03, 2012 10:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden