This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007



I haven't bought lettuce for a month! (since June 2nd) I am regularly harvesting black-seeded simpson (my favorite), escarole, endive, oak-leaf, and baby romaine. Also, I've started pulling baby beet greens this past weekend. I add garden herbs to our salad: usually dill, cilantro or parsley. I will try some borage soon. (I ran out of arugula and am waiting for a recently seeded crop to grow). We are big salad eaters and its great to have fresh tender greens available daily.

Lactuca sativa


Blogger italman said...

what a great lettuce garden! Just looking at this photo makes me hungry! A little bit of olive oil, salt, some lemon juice, herbs of course and you got yourself a nice vitamin bomb!
I know some dogs like fruit and veggies, is Skippy one of them? If he is, he's one lucky dog!
My regards to Skippy!

July 03, 2007 7:06 AM

Anonymous Julia said...

How do you keep the lettuce going in summer heat and humidity?

July 03, 2007 2:59 PM

Blogger Connie said...

Your lettuce looks pretty, as well as delicious! I had a good lettuce year as well, but now temps are soaring into the 90's, so will have to switch to coleslaw! I did recently plant some small lettuce transplants with a shade cloth over them, so will see how it does.

July 03, 2007 5:58 PM

Blogger carletongardener said...

Thanks for the comments!

Hi Italman: Skippy doesn't like lettuce. He is unusually particular for a dog and likes only nori and grass for veggies (both of which he LOVES). That's OK. We eats tons of salad greens. Someday I'll post a photo of our standard evening dinner, which is pretty much as you describe. A big pile of salad. Yum.

Julia: I plant lettuce all summer, every 3 or 4 weeks. Last year a couple of seedings did not sprout in the heat of July and August. But for me if it sprouts it'll grow. I plant loose headed varieties, like black seeded simpson, oak leaf and bibb. Last year I had lettuce growing until January! I like to plant it in the shadier areas of my garden (so I can use the limited sunny space for fruiting plants), so maybe it stays cooler there.

Connie: Good luck with the shade cloth. That sounds like a good idea. Maybe lettuce would grow well under a row of sunflowers or around the tomatoes?

July 04, 2007 10:57 AM

Anonymous Julia said...

Thanks. Maybe I'll try sowing some more of the loose leaf types. The bibb-type I planted in spring has bolted now. The bed was in part shade.

July 05, 2007 8:05 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden