This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

fall broccoli started

baby broccoli sprouts
I'm looking forward to a fall crop of broccoli, though I'm hoping I haven't started these plants too early. I didn't expect them to grow so fast. We'll see.



Blogger Tyra in Vaxholm said...

I didn't know that you could sow broccoli now? Tell me more, why in July?

July 22, 2007 3:03 AM

Blogger carletongardener said...

I'd like to plant it in the garden in late August when the plants are 8 weeks old. I think I read this somewhere.... I found it: Kenny at Veggie Gardening Tips has an article about fall broccoli. He starts his plants in early August (maybe I'm a bit early...) and sets then out late August and early September. He says he gets great heads of broccoli in December. It sounds really nice!

July 22, 2007 5:05 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all great picture! Second, can you really grow a crop of broccoli outside in your area in December? Do you need to protect the plants from frost?

July 28, 2007 3:13 PM

Blogger carletongardener said...

I really shouldn't give advice on this. I'm experimenting. Its my first year growing broccoli.

But, last year my lettuce didn't freeze until January 18th! It looked nice all of December. I also had delicious carrots, beets and chard through November and into December. Every year the weather is different, but my yard tends to frost very late. I did cover everything on the coldest nights.

I believe broccoli is at least a cold hardy as lettuce. Check back to my site and see if the fall broccoli crop works!

July 29, 2007 12:11 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden