Thursday, September 04, 2008

farms around the corner

sergi farm sign
Sergi tractor sergi zinnias
rows of greens
carrots purple peppers

Skippy and I walked by our local farms, Belmont CSA and Sergi Farms, today. Here are some photos I took.

I just love being able to walk to real farms from my suburban house. Belmont is very close to the big city (5 miles from Boston), yet these farms are a short walk from my house.

Skippy and I walked through the fields and checked out the produce. In Gretta's CSA fields, we saw lots of butternut squash, beautiful greens and rows of ripe beans, tomatoes and peppers. In the Sergi fields there was corn, dahlias, sunflowers and beautiful zinnias.

These fields are on 5 acres of land that was willed to the town of Belmont in a trust to be used only for farming. What a treasure!

The Sergi's farm 4 acres and sell vegetables at their stand. I'll go back tomorrow with some money because I noticed their enormous potted mums at only $7.

Gretta is the farmer at the Belmont CSA. It looks today was a distribution day. Several people were picking up bags of produce from the baskets Gretta had left out. There were melons, heirloom tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, cilantro, bunches of carrots, and many kinds of chiles and peppers. I think this may be the final summer distrubution day. I am looking forward to the fall/winter distribution, which I signed up for. My parents, a neighbor and us will share this share. Our first distribution day is October 18. I can't wait!!

3 comments:

Gretta said...

Kathy,
Your photos are so lovely!!! It's great to have a talented gardener/photographer living so close to the farm.

About the farm -- it's actually privately owned by the Ogilby family. There's a very nice article explaining how the land has been protected in the Belmont Citizen Forum, 2003, volume 4, #2: http://www.belmontcitizensforum.org/read_newsletter.htm

Anyone can protect/preserve their farmland without having to sell it or will it to a city or nonprofit organization. I hope that's good news for all the Belmont residents who read your blog -- especially those folks with an acre or two of land .....
Gretta

kathy said...

Thanks Gretta!

Anonymous said...

It's not called "Sergi Farms" that's a different farm that Gretta haas nothing to do with.