Tuesday, June 23, 2009

summer squash - big flowers on tiny plants

zucchini
summer squash Anne Arundale melon
Waltham butternut crane muskmelon
sugar baby watermelon
charantois melon jarrahdale pumpkin

I've collected photos here of my squashes. From top: Zucchini Cashflow, Zephyr yellow squash, Anne Arrundale Muskmelon, Waltham Butternut, Crane Muskmelon, Sugar Baby Watermelon, Charentais Muskmelon, Jarrahdale Pumpkin. Not photo'd are Starship Pattypan, Sunburst Pattypan, Big Rock Pumpkin, and Baby Pam Pumpkin.

Some look good, some have seriously suffered from slug damage. I started with 4 or 5 plants of each. Probably most disappointing is the single pant of Charentais melon I have left. :(

Some years I have big leafy squash plants and few flowers - this year lots of big flowers on tiny little plants! I've been trying to figure this out.

One clue (I think) is that usually I have lots of zucchini already by now.

This year, its not that the flowers are early, but the leaves are late. I bet the flowers are triggered by daylight length (luckily the clouds aren't affecting this) and the leaf growth is very sensitive to temperature, which has been cool.

8 comments:

Dan said...

That's a shame the slugs ate all but one of the charentais. I have seed for another charentais variety if you would like some more?

Interesting observational on the Zucchini. I also found it strange that I had a plant with 4 small leaves yet it is full of flower buds. Your explanation is right on I think.

Jessica said...

I agree! Same thing here, small plants lots of flowers and no zucchini's yet. :/ Lost a of my cukes, melons, and squashes this year to slugs as well. It's been rough. :/ But my peppers look better than ever... its crazy.

Anonymous said...

I've got normal looking zucchini, but my cukes look like that. Four tiny leaves and lots of flowers. It has to be this screwy New England weather.

kathy said...

Great idea to put in some more melon seeds Dan. I may not have planted all that you sent. I'll check.

Unknown said...

I'm in Michigan and I have huge leaves and very long stems on my zucchini. I don't have any open flowers yet, but there are lots of buds. We've had a warm-ish spring, and this week it's suddenly been in the high 80's or low 90's every day, so everything is really beginning to grow!

Cynthia Sanders said...

Will your zucchinis be growing on a trellis or on the ground? I built a trellis for mine but I don't know how tall they get or if it will even climb it at all?

~Cynthia

Dawnie (CT) said...

I have the same problem with my cukes. Small plants that are flowering already. Should I just leave them be or pluck off the floweres until the plants get bigger?

Kristin said...

I have small cucumber plants, and only one with one flower, which I am worried about since it will have nothing to pollinate it. I had that problem with my cukes last year until I pollinated them with the squash flowers. My squash are opposite of yours though, I have plants with tons of HUGE leaves, but tiny tiny flowers which have yet to bloom. I am in NH, and a bit behind you anyway, but how weird that mine are growing opposite of yours! Anyway, best of luck with your garden in this weather :)!