Monday, June 08, 2009

radish story

My friend I gave seeds and a pot to has just harvested radishes! I'm soooo impressed. Way to go Anne Marie!

She never grew any vegetables before and wanted to grow something - seed to harvest. With her very young girls. Her garden space is a sunny patio. So she planted a lettuce/mesclun mix and radish in pots. This weekend she pulled her first radish. A pretty round red one, she said. Her little girl tried a slice (brave!) and sadly shook her head and said "Mummy, its too spicy for me". Radish are great! So pretty and quick and ... spicy.

pot and seeds for a friend

6 comments:

Marian(LondonUK) said...

I remember you doing this, at the time I thought how nice! Doing nice things for others is rewarding in many ways. I haven't sown any radish yet, I have mislaid my seeds they are French Breakfast which seem to be highly recommended.
Happy Tuesday.
Marian(LondonUK)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh I love to grow radishes. They are so eager to come up and they are such pretty colors. However, I am with your little friend. they are to spicy for me also. As much as I want to like them they just taste like spicy dirt.

SNJGardener said...

I just finished my radishes. I'll plant my third green beans in their place in a couple of weeks.

http://snjgardener.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

Reminds me of a time I tried to get one of my sons to try a sweet banana pepper. He refused soI told him to watch me eat it. It wasn't a sweet banana pepper, it was a hot pepper!

He won't try anything I ask him to now unless I taste it first!

Anonymous said...

Lightly sauteing radishes gives them a little sweetness.
I grew breakfast radishes, but they did not grow very long like on the seed packet--more of an oval shape. Maybe it's the weather here (midAtlantic)--it's been a cool and rainy spring, but I thought they would like that. Or maybe it is my soil (a mix of topsoil and compost in a raised bed). Any thoughts?

Tina said...

I, too loved my first radishes this year (and in general) so much. The knitter in me secretly compared them to sock or hat knitting: fun to watch the process, fast, instant gratification and a great result… I have a surprise seed mix of several different radish varieties and it is so much fun. The white long ones are the spiciest ones, especially at their points.