This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

wildflowers

Copy of IMG_8175 Copy of IMG_8213
Copy of IMG_8203 Copy of IMG_8199
Copy of IMG_8212 Copy of IMG_8191
Copy of IMG_8195 Copy of IMG_8187
Copy of IMG_8188 Copy of IMG_8185
Copy of IMG_8184 Copy of IMG_8178
Copy of IMG_8171 Copy of IMG_8172
Copy of IMG_8162
Copy of IMG_8159 puff

I wish I knew all of these. Beautiful flowers in the fields around my garden. Some are invasives (bindweed), some natives. Photos are a good way to learn their names.

wildflowers, weeds, invasives and natives

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Green Bean said...

Lovely photos. We recently trekked through a field full of wildflowers and I was surprised by how few of the flowers I could identify.

June 13, 2009 10:06 AM

 
OpenID writingeveryday said...

I can fill in a couple.
The first one is bladder campion.
The yellow flowers about the wild geranium look like celandine. Does the plant have bright orange sap when you break it?

And there's a bee in the bindweed!

June 13, 2009 10:16 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Thanks! I wish I knew the yellow flowers at the bottom.

June 13, 2009 10:23 AM

 
Blogger jnfr said...

The yellow flowers at the bottom, and the seedhead, look like some variety of salsify.

June 13, 2009 6:21 PM

 
Blogger Sue said...

the 2nd one down on the right looks like black raspberry... the 2 green things are the raspberry's.. very yummy

June 14, 2009 10:55 AM

 
Blogger bzwax said...

Kathy, I wonder if the bottom two are salsify?

June 14, 2009 5:31 PM

 
Blogger bzwax said...

OH, and the long purple one is vetch. The one next to the bindweed I think is a wild geranium.

best,
Debbie

June 14, 2009 5:32 PM

 
Blogger M. D. Vaden of Oregon said...

Hello.

Was out web surfing for trees and garden tonight. Stumbled upon your blog.

Curious - is that one of those Portugese water dogs ?? Think that's the name.

Cheers,

M. D. Vaden

Beaverton / Portland

June 15, 2009 12:57 AM

 
Blogger Chorizo said...

Yes, Skippy is a Portuguese Water Dog (PWD). I know because I have one too.

June 19, 2009 8:47 AM

 
Anonymous Carys said...

The one at the bottom looks like false dandelion/cats' ear, but it's hard to tell without seeing the leaves at the bottom. Here's a page with pictures: http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=910. The purple flowers in the 3rd row up look like some kind of vetch to me.

I just found your blog and really like it.

Carys

June 21, 2009 11:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

third down on the right (PURPLE FLOWER THAT RESEMBLES PHLOX) is an invasive called dame's rocket. You can distinguish it from phlox because it has 4 leaves per floret while phlox has 5. Also exists as a white flower

lovely biennial but best to get rid of it as soon as possible

June 23, 2009 2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden