This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

prime lettuce season

Boston lettuce heads
boston lettuce head prizehead lettuce

I am SO excited to have big heads of Boston lettuce forming. I haven't grown this variety before and it is just beautiful! I may have a new favorite lettuce variety. My old favorite, Prizehead, is doing good too.

It seems that the slugs prefer Prizehead to Boston.

WARNING: The photo below may be offensive to some gardeners. Don't scroll down if you are bothered by the sight of slugs.



Blogger TSannie said...

Boston is my very favorite lettuce - and I do not like sharing it with slugs.
Looks just beautiful (the lettuce, not the slug).

June 24, 2009 11:42 PM

Anonymous BW said...

I ma so jealous of your Boston lettuce!! I planted some but it never formed heads, it just started to grow up and act like a leaf lettuce. Do you have any tips? For now my solution s to hit up the Copley farmer's market tomorrow.

June 25, 2009 9:22 AM

Blogger Mr. Finch said...

Boston's my favorite lettuce too. We aren't growing any this year, but maybe next year.

June 25, 2009 9:33 AM

Blogger Cynthia said...

Your lettuce looks so gorgeous!!! How long did it take for it to grow this big? My lettuce are growing so slow :(

June 25, 2009 1:25 PM

Anonymous Siren said...

that was what i wanted - Boston lettuce - and what I thought i was getting when I planted green leaf lettuce. :( :( oh well, next year.

June 25, 2009 5:51 PM

Blogger Jeph said...

I grew some mini-version of Boston lettuce for the first time this year, and have to say it's a VERY nice change from all the leaf lettuce... Yours are beautiful!

June 26, 2009 1:36 PM

Blogger Sue said...

That looks so good. It's so hot here that everything is burning up and withering. Even watering doesn't help.

June 28, 2009 2:03 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden