Monday, September 27, 2010

my kitchen garden

garden

Here's the vegetable garden I grow on the side my house. This is the view from the east - the shady side. That's the potato bed in the foreground. The cold frame is at the far right in the bright sun. It is mostly full of cucumbers right now. They are amazing this year. I pick 2 or 3 a day. Much more than I can eat. I will make another batch of pickles soon.

On Sunday, I removed the melons from behind the cukes (they did not do well here) and planted a couple rows of fall beets and lettuce. The seedlings were started inside under lights. Soon the cover will go back on the cold frame. I'm hoping this bed will produce greens into the winter.

One of the items on my list of things to do this week is to call a tree trimmer. One big branch of the giant shade tree to the east is hitting the roof of our house. I am hoping in addition to removing this branch they can remove some others and give my garden a bit more sunlight.

6 comments:

meemsnyc said...

What a nice garden! I want to build a cold frame this year also.

Peter Chapman = Vegetable Gardening For Beginners said...

Hello Kathy,
I love your blog. I see that you are using the deep bed method. Thats a method I personally use. I find the deep bed method really helpful in a small garden to maximise your crop by being able to plant them closer together. Really great content. I will be returning.
Best wishes

Peter

Steve said...

I have a few friends with lush still productive gardens like yours who are also making plans for Winter crops.

At times I'm envious that I don't have the same passion and enthusiasm. While I do love my garden, I'm content to put it to rest for a season.

Your garden is still quite beautiful and full getting so close to frost.

Thank you.

vic said...

Beautiful garden Kathy. I wish our backyard garden is this organized.

We are getting ready for the Canadian winter and getting our hoop house ready.

We planted the fall and winter crops inside already.

Alexandra said...

Is always a pleasure to visit your garden, Kathy!

Nicole said...

Just wanted to leave a little note and let you know how much I've enjoyed watching your garden grow this past summer. I'm down here in the Phoenix area so we are just now coming up on our "spring" if you will. I am finding myself inspired by all your efforts and success. I just love the open hearted way in which you seem to view your garden. Thanks for blogging!