Sunday, September 12, 2010

grapes

grapes

These are grapes growing over our patio on a big arbor in the back yard. A red variety whose name I have forgotten. They're not good eating grapes, to me anyway - probably a jam or wine variety, but birds and animals love them. Squirrels and cardinals are most often in the vines.

Last evening as we relaxed on the patio, a fluffy black critter with a lovely white stripe down the center of his back ambled up within 5 feet of us - I think to sample fallen grapes. Fortunately he didn't consider Skippy a serious threat. Skippy jumped up and ran after him, both of them disappearing into the dark corner of the yard. Fortunately, when Skippy came back to us, he was still smelling pretty. Lucky us! I think I almost spent the evening washing skunk spray off Skippy.

8 comments:

Susie said...

Wow! My grapes are all gone already!

Anonymous said...

I have so been there... glad Skippy didn't get sprayed! It was NOT FUN!!!

meemsnyc said...

Lovely grapes. My parent's dog was sprayed with a skunk twice this year. It is definitely not pretty.

Debbie said...

Just a tip if it ever does happen. Dial hand soap is the best to get rid of the smell. You do have to repeat but it does work. Nice grapes.

Unknown said...

This is cute...being from Hawaii, I had never seen a skunk, except for on tv...then finally I was treated to the whole enchilada when visiting my dad in Yakima...the neighbor accidently hit one...yikes! Anyway, you inspired me to build a grape arbor, not as nice as yours, but I like how my grapes are now growing. Thank you!

Texas Flower Artist said...

We have a small grape arbor in our side yard here in Texas, our best crop of grapes came off in the early summer, we have a few clusters now but the opossum that visits our side garden enjoys them. We made some jelly out of our grapes, but it didn't really have a grape flavor, mostly just sugar.

Karen Anne said...

I love skunks. There are three that visit my deck to eat out of the deck level feeders.

42pennies said...

Oh, no! You have concord grapes, and you don't use them??

I used to have concord grapes at my last house and I made yummy jam every year. Now I am so sad to not have it!

Wish there was a way for those who have them to connect with those of us who would love to make things out of them!!