Tuesday, September 14, 2010

fall seedlings

seedlings 3
seedlings 1

As the summer crops fade, I am increasing the numbers of seedling I'm planting. Mostly greens: lettuce of all types, arugula, spinach, endive and escarole and beets. They'll go into my community plot after the squashes and corn are pulled (only 26 days until frost!! OMG). And then, they'll go into my cold frame when the cucumbers finish. I had such a nice early spring cold frame full of greens that I'm looking forward to fall. I think they will grow well past the first frost.

I've resorted to starting all my seeds inside under lights. The sun and rain are too unpredictable for small seedlings outside in the big world, especially when my schedule is all mixed up.

seedlings 4 seeds for fall greens

14 comments:

meemsnyc said...

The seedlings look great!

Unknown said...

You are such a neat gardener, I admire you! Great pictures.

Missy said...

Sprouts already? Wow. Why do they need to be planted so early?

biobabbler said...

SUCH a beautiful photo of beautiful sprouts. My. =)

Vic said...

The first shot is a money shot for sure!

Great pictures and goodluck with your fall crops.

Lynn Mc. said...

Beautiful photos! Where do you purchase your six packs? I can only find the smaller ones (1.5) where I live and garden.

Matron said...

What wonderful photography!

J.C. said...

Is that red amaranth in the first photo? It looks good. Your seedlings look healthy.

Louis said...

Your site is amazing.I am very impressed to see this,i want to come back for visiting your site.Keep doing Good as well as you can..

Carolyn said...

Look great. What sort of lighting set-up have you got there?

kathy said...

Missy, That's funny that you say its early for planting! Its really pretty late for fall planting. I am planting crops now that mature within 2 months and can tolerate cold temperatures. Mostly greens. After early Nov, nothing really grows any more, even in a cold frame, because there's not enough sunlight. I should probably stop planting this week. Then I won't get to plant again (except for the garlic in Oct) until I start the onions in February. Sad to think of 4 months without planting!!! :(

Lynn, I just pick up the seed packs at the hardware store in the spring. Always very little choice on the types. Just what they have.

J.C. the red sprouts are Chiogga beets.

Carolyn, I added a link to shelves and lighting below the post. Click on this and you can find my old posts with descriptions of the shelves and lights.

alice said...

I REALLY likes these pictures! Miss you.

Carolyn said...

thanks!

Corrina said...

Kathy, I am sure you have seen this book: http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/books/index.html#harvest The Four Season Harvest? I picked it up over the summer and am looking through it now. I bet you could do quite well with your cold frame set up!

As always, I enjoy your blog very much.