Monday, March 23, 2009

photographing a snow drop

Microsoft PowerPoint - Presentation2

I found a new button on PhotoShop today - "Variations". It was already hard enough to choose what photo looks best. Now 10 to choose between. But I'll have fun playing.

Variations gives a bunch of different light and color settings all next to each other on the same screen. I think I prefer the lighter version of this snow drop. And the greener shades. Of course, it'll look different on its own or with my green blog background. And still not the same as it looked when I took the photo - out in the crisp spring morning air.

When I take pictures, I usually use PhotoShop to edit. I don't like to use a flash. So I often brighten photos and reduce the shadows. I play with the "shadows/highlights" feature for this. Then the auto settings. Then the color adjusts.

And, late on a Sunday evening, I even try the artistic filters....

snow drop
snow drop pencil snow drop watercolor

8 comments:

Jain said...

Oooh, I would love the side-by-side-by-side comparisons. I've always heard that Photoshop is a bear to learn - how tough is it?

kathy said...

I've been using it for ever (20 years or so). And still I'm figuring it out. I'd say yes, its tough. And expensive.

Dan said...

I will have to look for the variations button. I have the program and just learned how to crop a few months ago which is pretty bad. I do single image tone mapping with photoshop. It is particularly good at bringing out depth in the sky. I will find the tutorial link and e-mail it to you. Here is a link to a photo I used the procedure on and the photo below is the original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21950260@N05/3270990189/

Kristy said...

which photoshop are you using? The pictures are gorgeous!

kathy said...

thanks. its CS3

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say nice work, Kathy, and yes, I'd agree with you on Photoshop -- 10+ years, and there's still a lot I don't know. A friend keeps asking me to "teach" her Photoshop, as if it's something we could do in an afternoon. :)

Enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture and great blog!!!

littlem said...

Thanks for the cool tip.