Tuesday, May 20, 2008

big warmup is in sight!!


Elliot Abrams says "A Few More Cool Days, then a Big Warmup". Yippee!!!

Right on time for my tomato plants! Thursday should be a good for planting. I think I'll hold off on planting my home garden until then too. Thursday looks to be cloudy and wet, cool overnight. Maybe I'll cover the plants Thursday night. The warmup starts Friday.

And now that I've figured out how to access my Flickr photo site again, I'll even be able to post photos of the planting! For the past few days, I've not been able to sign-in to my photo site as I forgot my sign-in information. (Love these little random memory lapses... Actually more of a record keeping failure.)

I'm looking forward to the weekend. Elliot says it "will seem as if we are heading straight into summer". :)

7 comments:

Brian said...

Just wanted to drop a hello and let you know I really enjoy reading your blog. I think I will follow your lead and plant the peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and squash this weekend. Enjoy the warmer weather.

Brian

Daphne Gould said...

Yes this weekend is looking fabulous. The weatherman said we might get up to 80 for Memorial Day, so I'm doing a little happy dance. I have my warm weather crops in already, but I have them all protected with row covers, which is good since tomorrow will be chilly.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kathy... we just got a big warm up too. We have been over 100 for the past 3 days. YIKES! haha

Doctor Mom said...

I'm holding off on planting my dahlia tubers until the warm weather this weekend. I have some begonias in outdoor containers and no ill effects even when the temperature dropped below 50 this past few nights.

vp said...

I caught that you're planting this week - I'm grown ab out 12 heirloom tomatoes this year but I'm afraid to plant out on saturday even though it'll be warm...why...the wind. the wind has made it feel far below 50 degrees at night and that may stunt growth - what do you think?

kathy said...

Yes, the wind is really strong the past few days. I was talking about this with my Dad today. He thought I should cover the plants with row cover to block the wind, hold in some humidity and reduce the weekend sun a bit. I think I will do this.

I covered my freshly transplanted lettuce last week and it seemed to help alot. They were very delicate seedlings and they did great, even in the strong wind. I removed the cover today.

There's very little wind in my home garden, but thanks for reminding me about this in the exposed community plot!

kathy said...

Still no sprouts on my dahlias that I planted a couple weeks ago. I'll keep watching. You were smart to wait.