Thursday, August 02, 2007

farmers market day

farmers market fare
Another beautiful day at the local farmers market. But HOT!! I always like to see what the local real farmers are harvesting - and see how far behind my garden is :(

Today they had lots of tomatoes, peppers, squash and eggplants. Also blueberries, raspberries, corn, broccoli, garlic, onions, beets and potatoes. Cut flowers. Since I've been complaining about what a bad year it is for tomatoes, I asked the farmer from Belmont Farm CSA what she thought. Well, she said its an awesome year. She got her tomatoes in early sine the weather was so good (May 10) and has been harvesting for 3 weeks now! She had lots of New Girl's at the stand. That's one of her beautiful Kaliope eggplants (the large one).

The lettuce is in short supply, as I am finding in my garden. The Belmont farmer had to box her lettuce since it had wilted (looked great to me!). She said the farmers are only growing a type of heat resistant lettuce called Summer Crisp or Batavia now (seeds from Johnny's). Any other type she says will bolt. I'll put this variety on my list for next year!

The garlic I bought looks about like the head I dug from my garden earlier this week. I'm going to wait a few more weeks and see if it will get a bit bigger.

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

2 comments:

Matron said...

What a lovely selection. I love going to farmers' markets because I like to support local growers. I really dislike having to go to the high street supermarkets, they are a necessary evil. I hate the way that supermarkets take advantage of their suppliers and only stock what is convenient for them to stock, and not what tastes best!

Tira said...

Gorgeous veggies. I also enjoy visiting our farmer's market every week.