Monday, June 04, 2007

planting more lettuce

patio 2a patio planter 2
patio 5
I found a few bare spots of dirt by my patio and so I decided to plant lettuce there. Why not?! Its an interesting and edible ground cover.

We have several in ground planters alongside our patio/driveway where a couple of large deep-rooted plants are growing (climbing rose, honeysuckle and an espaliered pear tree). I added potting soil to the top few inches and planted hot weather varieties of lettuce: a mix called heatwave blend that contains black seeded simpson, oak leaf and other types of lettuce.

I'm on the look out for more spots to plant lettuce. I'd like to avoid buying store lettuce for at least for the next few months. I'm trying to plant a row/patch every two weeks.

The big photo was taken from my kitchen door. The large patio pots have pumpkins, sunflowers and herbs in them. The little pots will soon have soybeans and arugula. I'm going with vege's instead of flowers this year!

As long as no vehicles run over my lettuce, it should be tasty in the salad bowl in 45 days.

Lactuca sativa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home grown lettuce is great! I've been enjoying some of my own the last few days...

Diana said...

I have garden envy.