Saturday, May 03, 2008

early lettuce

red lettuce green lettuce
lettuce lettuce seedlings
I have two varieties of lettuce outside in my home garden. The red one is Marvel of the Four Seasons (Merville de Four Seasons), the green one is escarole Bionda A Cuore Pieno. I sowed the seeds for these indoors back in early March and transplanted them outside on April 11.

This year, I seeded my lettuce pretty dense in little flats, then transplanted them. (A flat that needs to be transplanted ASAP is on the lower right.) This way I'll get heads of lettuce, I hope. Last year I sowed the seeds directly in garden and found it difficult to thin enough to get heads. Nevertheless, the crowed plants made lots of delicious leaves.

Lactuca sativa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Georgia. I see that you are into lettuce in a big way and wondered whether or not you could give me some advice. I'm not a first-time gardner, just a first time Georgia gardner. I have 5 rows of spicy greens planted and something is eating it before I can get to all of it. It's not a four-legged creature because we have a fence around the patch. It's a bug of some kind; Georgia is famous for all kinds of bugs eating whatever it is one plants. Do you have any idea what would eat lettuce? My Royal Oak went first; all that is left now are the veins, then my Arugula. Help!!

Marilyn