This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

mystery squash


I had a whole bunch of squash plants that sprouted in my compost bin this spring. Many of them volunteered in the garden, too. This is the first of the fruits. It looks like a gourd I had on my table at Thanksgiving!

Cucurbita pepo (summer squash)


Blogger Doctor Mom said...

How funny--the compost that I recently spread in my garden is also sprouting squash seedlings! I'm glad you kept yours to harvest--I've been weeding mine out from among the sedums.

August 31, 2007 12:25 AM

Blogger carletongardener said...

I was lucky that they seemed to sprout in locations were it was OK to leave them growing. Pumpkins and sedums aren't the best combination.

September 02, 2007 5:42 PM

Blogger gardenmomma (Chris) said...

How cool is that???

November 05, 2007 12:46 AM

Blogger qaz007 said...

Wow cool it's a squash but it looks like a pumkin

July 23, 2008 11:04 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden