This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

yummy fresh edamame

ready to eat edamame
My fresh edamame was delicious! However, not the same difference as between a home grown and store bought tomato. The home grown edamame is a bit more flavorful and has better texture. It was much more hairy! Since they were very easy to grow, I am planning a bigger crop next year.

To cook, I steamed the freshly picked beans for 3-4 minutes. Just until the pods started to open a little bit. They cooked a little faster than the frozen ones I usually buy. The bowlful I harvested today is about a quarter of my crop I would guess.



Anonymous Anonymous said...


I read all of your blog entries sometime last November, when it was grey, cold, and dreary.

I'm getting ready to plant my edamame, and I just wanted to see how it worked for someone else. I googled for it, and I'm glad I ended up your site again!

I patterned my garden after yours, so hopefully I get the same good results. But since I am in the Central Valley of California, I just need to THINK about planting vegetables, and they start to grow!

Thanks for the info and the inspiration.

April 19, 2008 10:35 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I just purchased a six-pak of edamame & am ready to plant. How far did you space yours and how are they doing? thx jb

May 26, 2008 3:12 PM

Blogger Kirsten said...

Glad to hear that growing edamame was easy - we want to give it a try.

Where did you buy your seeds from? I'm having trouble finding a source.

August 24, 2008 2:13 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden