This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

potato beetle

potato bug
I found this guy on my potatoes this morning and looked him up. Surprise - he's a potato beetle: Threelined Potato Beetle (Lema trilineata). I'll have to watch out for him. But for now I just took his picture and left him alone.

Solanum tuberosum


Blogger Adekun said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 22, 2007 6:38 AM

Blogger Adekun said...

I see your having fun with your new camera. The macros have come out especially well. I miss my old film SLR, despite the phaffing about. It would be nice to get a digital one, nappies come first.

June 22, 2007 6:39 AM

Anonymous Graeme said...

Thanks for the id of this beetle. I've been looking for it without much luck.

They've just begun to munch on our Tomatillos. It is interesting the have not seemed to have found our potatoes yet. The pest in residence in our potato patch are currently the Colorado potato beetle which look quite a bit different.

June 24, 2007 10:40 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Me and my friend are doing a project on the potato beetle! thanks for the info!

October 25, 2007 2:48 PM

Blogger heirloomgardener said...

Thanks for helping me identify my pest. I just did a post on how I get rid of them (organically):

June 04, 2008 10:42 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden