This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Friday, May 11, 2007

garden centers bird nests

Bonny's flowers Bonny's tables
eggs pot with nest
I like to buy my plants from small local garden centers. I've been enjoying looking for vegetable and flower plants for my gardens - especially interesting heirloom tomatoes. I also like looking for birds' nests at the garden centers. Three times now, I have found one hidden in the plants somewhere. The photo above is a nest of robin eggs I photographed this morning.

garden birds (Hortus Aves)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I've never seen a bird's nest at a garden center before. Clearly, I'm looking at the wrong garden centers! I love the wee robin's nest.

May 11, 2007 6:05 PM

 
Blogger carletongardener said...

I've found three. I watched a song sparrow fledge 5 chicks two years ago in a columbine pot and found a nest being built by a sparrow (I think) in some annuals last year. I suppose I've been to 50 million garden centers, so its really not a very frequent thing.

But garden centers are great places for birds. One shop owner I know has a great story about a pure (very rare) white sparrow that hung out in his plants for a season.

May 11, 2007 6:26 PM

 
Blogger Blackswamp_Girl said...

I've never seen a bird's nest, but we did find a nest of baby rabbits at the garden center where I worked part-time a few years ago. We kept the owners' dogs away from them until they were big enough to realize they had to flee the big slobbery things. :)

May 13, 2007 6:56 PM

 
Blogger carletongardener said...

I've never seen baby rabbits! That must have been exciting.

May 14, 2007 10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden