Friday, November 21, 2008

radish taste test

three radishes
Misato Rose radishes misato rose radish sliced on a plate

I have three types of radish in my fridge now, so we did a side-by-side taste test. From left: my home-grown salad radish (var. Easter egg mix), Daikon radish (CSA grown) and the pink is also CSA grown - a winter radish called Misato rose. The lower photos are both the winter rose radish.

Winter radish are larger and slower growing than the standard salad varieties. And they keep longer.

Our taste test results: they all taste like .... well, radish.

The salad radish has the sharpest flavor, Daikon a bit milder and Misato rose the mildest. Misato rose is also the most crisp, Daikon a bit less so and salad radish the least crisp. (Of course, the salad radish here is an end-of-the-year, two-week-in-the-fridge one. I bet a freshly pulled spring radish would compare better.)

I would like to try to grow a few winter radish next year in my garden. I tried a round black winter radish from the super market last year. Very nice. I was not successful in getting any seeds of this variety to sprout, but will try again. I'll try Misato rose and black round winter radish. Just a few of each for salads and martinis.

The Daikon is very nice, but its a bit scary to have so much radish in one place. Too big. I'll skip this one.

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

radish (Raphanus sativus)

6 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Try them with bread and butter. Very yummy

Matron said...

Do any of those big radishes have a hot mustardy taste like the little red ones I grow?

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Good Morning Kathy I don't grow many radishes, but I think i will ha a go with this Misato Rose, mild and good looking that's great./ LOL Tyra

The greenhouse in TYRA'S GARDEN

Fiona said...

If you ever decide to grow daikon, or if someone gives you a gift, one thing that will use them up is to shred them into long strings and toss them with a vinaigrette and some herbs. You can make a little salad to eat with something gooey (mac-n-cheese?).

The Japanese have a tool that will spiral-cut these into spaghetti, and I've seen people do the same thing with turnips and then poach them in butter to make a side dish. That last was ridiculously tasty.

I agree with Tyra, though, that the Misato looks the best - like a radish watermelon.

Anonymous said...

great photos - good to think of you starting your vegetables season - when we have just had our first covering of snow!

Claire said...

That misato rose is gorgeous - I really want to grow some now!