Wednesday, October 08, 2008

first frost (a light frost) at my community plot

dead bean plants

It looks like my community garden plot had a light frost both of the past two nights. My tender crops (beans and eggplants) were killed yesterday and today the tops of my marigolds look singed. My semi-hardy (beets, carrots and endive) and hardy crops (broccoli, kale, peas and radish) (source) are doing fine.

I will make a notation for my calendar for next year that these beans were planted too late for the community plot. They were just about to bloom. The last crop will need to go in 3 weeks earlier here.

My home garden only got down to about 40F and beans are fine there. This garden in snuggled in between houses and streets. My community plot is in an undeveloped area, very exposed to the weather and located at the base of a bowl on the north side of a hill. Its been quite cold and windy there this week. My new compost pile is gaining height as I add the frosted plants.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, dear, sorry to hear that you've had a frost, but that's the nature of it, I guess.

I'm hoping for several more weeks, or maybe longer here.
Best,
Lisa

Mrs. Finch said...

Wow, what a difference, it's only a couple of miles away! I don't think our yard got below 39 or 40, but I brought the lemon tree in anyway, I'll have to keep the early frost in mind for next year.

Susie said...

We haven't had a frost yet but it's coming. This weekend is going to hit 75 so it is the big cleanout.

Joe said...

Sorry to hear about the frost!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your garden -- we've had a couple of very light frosts, but not enough to kill anything. Yet. :)

dinzie said...

Funnily enough there was a (last hopefully) frost here last night ... I hope it is the last and spring kicks in properly in NZ... Fortunately living on a hill and getting some breeze my veggie patch was unaffected
D

kathy said...

I wish we were having our last and not our first frosts....