This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

a week of harvests

harvest beets in the sink

This is my harvest this week. I picked the last of my green tomatoes, peppers and chiles today. And I picked a bunch of pretty little yellow signet marigolds and fleabane (weed) flowers. I have been regularly pulling escarole, red lettuce, arugula, beets and still-way-too-many-radishes. I had enough to give my parents a nice bag of storage potatoes, onions, a giant Brandywine tomato, radish and some greens. I also picked two more birdhouse gourds to total five this year.

harvests from my vegetable gardens


Blogger Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Nice hall.

October 23, 2008 10:08 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can you do with the green tomatoes?

October 23, 2008 11:02 PM

Anonymous Taylor said...

Oh I love your gourds! Their shapes are so varied- they look almost whimsical sitting on your steps.

October 24, 2008 11:46 AM

Blogger Dan said...

Looks like you are still getting good harvests. Nice bunch of peppers & chilies, I have to grow more varieties next year. Do you have any luck with bell peppers? Mine didn't want to turn colour or get thick & juicy like the ones from the grocery store.

October 25, 2008 3:19 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! Do I smell green fried tomatoes for dinner? Maybe a green tomato piccalilli with baked beans? Happy cooking!

October 25, 2008 8:13 PM

Blogger Mrs Flam said...

num..arugula , i think i will put some in my garden next year. beautifull harvest.

October 26, 2008 3:56 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden