Friday, July 18, 2008

watching and waiting....

The great tomato anticipation.

The count down on my side bar says this weekend I should have a ripe tomato. I'm not sure exactly why I picked this timing .... It seemed good. But I guess it was wishful thinking.

Last year, my first ripe tomato was July 31 2007 (a tiny split cherry tom on July 26 didn't really count). The previous year, the exact same date: July 31 2006.

There's no red yet in my home garden. I haven't been out to my community plot in a couple of days. Tomorrow I'll check. Ah, the suspense..... They were all green last I looked. But maybe, just maybe.

While I'm at the community garden, I'll take a look and see if any of the gardens have red tomatoes. Its very exciting to know that such a delicacy is just around the corner!

Solanum lycopersicum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, over here in Concord, MA, we feel your pain! 100+ lbs of green toms and until today (7/30), not one ripe one!

So we beat (beet?) your 7/31 first tomato ripe repeat record by one day. Hope yours will be along asap!