Monday, August 30, 2010

tomato sauce

tomato sauce simmering
tomatoes in a pile tomato sauce

I made a great big batch of red sauce this week. It simmered all afternoon. Mostly tomatoes from my parents garden. Also a few from my garden and some from my Piccadilly Farm CSA distribution. I added to the sauce a couple grated summer squash, carrots, garlic and onions. It smells fantastic!

Tomato varieties are: Mortgage Lifter, Box Car Willy, Pink Beauty, New Girl, Big Beef, Oxheart Red, Giant Belgium, Cherokee Purple, and Brandywine. Also two fantastic varieties of plum tomatoes: San Marzano Gigante 3 and Opalka.

I'd like to get a photo of each variety separately. Maybe next week.

tomatoes on the vine 3

10 comments:

meemsnyc said...

I bet that tastes just wonderful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love cooking with fresh tomatoes, it is the only way =).

Vic said...

We have been getting soooo much tomatoes. Our neighbors have this worried look that we are going to unload another 20lbs of tomatoes on them. :)

This is great. We have tried some salsa making but the sauce sounds delicious.

Brindavan in the bay area said...

Absolutely lovely. I am still waiting for my bumper crop of Tomatoes ;)

Steve said...

Living in Michigan, zone 5, I've been seeing my tomatoes start to ripen over the last few weeks. Not enough to make any sauces yet. Usually, because I just have a hard time finding time, I blanch my tomatoes, peel them, and then freeze them to use later in salsa, sauces, chili....whatever.

Great blog, really enjoy it!

John Craine said...

That's a nice pan. You can get the gunk off the outside with oven cleaner if you're not adverse to using toxic chemicals. Just spray it outside and let it sit for an hour.

Vic said...

Hi Kathy,

How did you remove the skins? Or did you cook the skins as well?

Thanks,
Vic

Jessica said...

Can you share your sauce recipe? I have tons of tomatoes that need to be cooked up! Thanks!

kathy said...

My sauce recipe for this batch was:

1. Boil water in a large sauce pan and add tomatoes about 5 at a time. Boil about 1 minutes until the skin peels easily.

2. Cool tomatoes, then peel.

3. Cut the tomatoes in half and squish out the seeds.

4. Saute in a large (well-stained) sauce pan in olive oil: a couple chopped onions and a bunch of garlic cloves.

5. Add peeled, seeded tomatoes to sauce pan. Add a couple grated summer squash and carrots too. Simmer gently for several hours or until its the thickness you like.

6. Cool in the fridge overnight then package in baggies and freeze.

Aryana said...

I love your blog! :D Keep it up! :D