Sunday, August 29, 2010

a new mulch for my vegetable beds

newly mulched paths
One of my projects this weekend was to weed and mulch my side yard vegetable beds.

Weeding the beds was a big job as I've neglected them recently. I removed two wheel barrows full to my compost bins. Most weeds had grown up in the paths between the beds.

After weeding, I spread mulch. A new product for me: Coast of Maine hay and straw mulch. Its finely chopped and sterilized and they say it doesn't have weed seeds. Its spreads very nicely and one bag covers lots of ground. I used it to suppress weed growth in my paths and to make a nice surface for walking on. I'm looking forward to using the rest of the bag for moisture retention in the vegetable beds at my community plot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aloha,

I just stumbled upon your blog and I am so glad I did. You have encouraged me regarding my gardening! Thank you...oh, and Skippy is adorable!

Blessings,

Connie

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, I'll have to look into that mulch!