Saturday, August 07, 2010

Alwife redtail hawks

hawk 005 hawk 059

Its been two months since we watched the 3 young red tailed hawks grow up on the ledge of the office building at 185 Alewife Brook Parkway. Today when I pulled into the mall parking lot to shop, I saw 3 red tailed hawks overhead. I haven't seen the young birds since the week they fledged. I often look for then when I shop here. Today they circled the lot, rising and dipping and looking very like very skillful fliers.

I don't really know if these are the same birds. But to see three red tailed hawks together, it seems they may be Larry, Lucy and Lucky. I'd like to think so.

When I saw them, I was at Staples, printing an update of a poster and calendar for our community garden. After getting the printout, I drove two miles to the Belmont Community gardens and posted the new sign. A few minutes later, I again saw 3 red tails in the sky. I was glad to have my zoom lens. Maybe the same birds I saw in the parking lot. Maybe the Alewife chicks enjoying their freedom and seeing the countryside. If it is them, its seems nice that they are together still. They were very lucky to have 3 healthy siblings.

1 comment:

meemsnyc said...

They are such beautiful birds!