Sunday, August 01, 2010

radicchio

raddichio

I am very pleased with the radicchio I have this year. Even though only one in five plants headed, one head goes a long way. And its a beautiful red in our salads.

Most of my radicchio bolted - probably because the season warmed up so fast. My Chinese cabbage (Wong Bok), which is supposed to be a big head, didn't head at all. Just big furry leaves and then bolted into a big flower stalk. It made for lots of fresh greens for the compost pile. My savoy and red cabbage didn't have any trouble with the weather though. The savoy heads are ready for harvest, the reds will need a few more weeks.

This radicchio variety is Palla Rossa Ashalim (Botanical Interests) planted from seed on March 23. From the drawing on the seed package, it seems it should be a round head. Maybe my elongated heads are from the warm weather.

9 comments:

meemsnyc said...

This radicchio is beautiful.

Cheryl said...

I agree wholeheartedly!

Funkbunny said...

my wong bok did exactly the same. I planted it in autumn here so it could have been the cold rather than the heat? Your radicchio looks very appetizing.

Outdoor Hydroponics said...

I've never heard of radicchio, nor tried it. It does look delicious though.

I just might have to pick up some seeds and try it out in my NFT hydroponic system for fall.

Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I planted the same radicchio seeds from Botanical Interests, too.
I harvested mine almost 2 months ago (I'm in Southern CA). The weather was pretty warm while they were growing. The heads were elongated as well.
I'm going to try planting them earlier next season to see if I can get round heads!

-Sherradian

Kristin said...

I have Treviso Radicchio growing...which is definitely long. Mine are full, but only green now. Did you do anything to get the red and white leaves? I haven't found much information on radiccio.

I was glad (sort of) to see that you have harvested some pumpkins. We have 2 bright orange New England Pie Pumpkins and I was so worried about how early they must be! At least it's not just mine! I guess I should pick them and freeze some puree for the winter.

josegardener@yahoo.com said...

Growing our own vegetables I envy you I would love to do this.

San Diego Lawn Service

kathy said...

I did not do anything to get the red leaves. I have a couple heads that made red leaves, others, as you can see from the one behind, were green. Some bolted to a flower stalk, others rotted. But I just LOVE that nice red head!

It does seem very early. And yes, I was worried about it too. I hope the vines keep producing more. I hope it is not a quick early burst then that's is. But I see more baby pumpkins and winter squashes on the vine, so I think they will come. I think we shouldn't worry. Just watch and wait.

Kristin said...

Thanks for your help. Yes, we do have some other baby pumpkins forming too...I'm hoping now the vine borers don't ruin those! We at least have the chance to grow some watermelons this year!