Thursday, April 26, 2007

compost!

bins bins with barrow
open bins compost in bed
These are my compost bins. It was a beautiful day for garden work, so today I opened up the bins and brought fresh compost to my squash bed. I used a pitch fork to shovel the uncomposted material from the top of one bin into the other bin. Then I shoveled the rich compost into a wheel barrow and brought 2 full barrows to my vegetable garden. I then moved all of the uncomposted material from the full bin into the newly emptied bin. At the bottom of this second bin is probably 3 barrows full of beautiful compost that I will use in a couple of weeks on my new tomato area.

My soil test results last year said I did not need any more compost in most of my garden. But it seems to me that squashes and pumpkins always prefer richer soil. Also, I will be starting a new tomato area next to the house where I have never amended the soil. I'm sure it will benefit from the rich compost.

My compost is mostly made from garden waste and leaves. I collect a very small amount of household vegetable waste occasionally that I add to the bins. Of course, there's the annual Halloween pumpkins that end up in the bins. Even with all this beautiful compost (all that my garden needs), still more than half of my garden waste goes to the local waste pick up.

topic: soil

my bins and systems for composting compost

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

Glad to make your acquaintanc.


You must be so proud of that tidy and productive veg garden.

I am impressed. And a little envious at your dedication.

Compost, leafmold, I have bins and bins of it. But all I ever seem to use is the rainwater from the many barrels we have.

Bought some spinach seeds yesterday. Maybe something comes of it ;-)

joco

UK, zone??

Ottawa Gardener said...

I LOVE opening the compost bin, it's like opening a present. Sadly my present won't be ready (I don't think) until mid-summer.

kathy said...

A rain barrel sounds like a great garden addition! I'm hoping to get one of these later this year.

I keep admiring this year's compost. It does look really good. It makes me think there will be lots of green leaves and red tomatoes in a few months!