Saturday, April 14, 2007

repotting pepper seedlings

making pots empty paper pots
tray with pots peppers by the sink
pepper tray pepper plants
Time to repot the peppers! I ended up with two trays: 90 plants total. I had peat pots for one tray (no pictures), but thought I'd try making paper pots for the other (these are the photogenic ones). The paper pots probably took me an hour to make and fill. Not too bad. Of course, its much too many plants for my little garden. I'll probably bring them down to the plant sale in the town center in the middle of May. Maybe I'll get rich.

Here's a link to Mr Brown Thumb's site where I found the paper pot idea.

Capsicum

5 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great idea! Do you put something in the bottom of the paper pots so the soil doesn't fall out? Neat trick - have to use that for transplants.

MrBrownThumb said...

Really cool, looks like you'll be well stocked with seedlings. Later if you find the fact that you didn't fold in bottoms to be a chore you can always lift them up with something flat like a spatula to keep the soil intact during transplanting.

kathy said...

I'm was hoping the roots will hold the soil in.. if the plants grow well in the next month. We'll see. I'll keep the spatula handy in case.

Dr8ton said...

What is the fastest way to fill these cups? They are the best way I have found to start seeds but filling them is so time consuming.

kathy said...

I don't know. Maybe someone else has a fast method. I found that I just don't need that many peppers, so regular old purchased pots and hand fulling are fine.