Sunday, April 29, 2007

view from above

garden
Today was a spectacular gardening day! I planted seeds for sugar snap peas, beets, chard, kale and cilantro. I'm guessing my soil temperature is now about 45-50F. I potted up six new begonia tubers and put the pots out in a warm spot where my sprinkler will reach.

I took this aerial picture of my garden with my new camera - an SLR digital: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with an EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM lens. I'm very happy that it has a wider view than my previous camera. I now can photograph the area against the house where I will be adding garden space this year.

My plan is to remove the two bushes at the lower right side of the photo - a very big rhododendron and a smaller yew. (My dad would like to give the rhodo a home in his yard.) Also, numerous perennials will need to be moved over. The entire area to the right of the downspout will be allocated to my Solanaceae plants: tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, tomatillos and potatoes. I'm gearing up to start this project in the next day or two. I usually plant my tomatoes, eggplants and peppers the second week of May. So I have about three weeks to clear the area and prepare the soil.

aerial views of my home vegetable garden

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Starting to look very green! Much different than even a month ago.

kathy said...

Yes, its greening up! Very exciting.

Doctor Mom said...

It's great to see how much you have done to prepare and plant your beds! Thanks for the good information a few posts back about inoculants.