This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Monday, November 02, 2009

harvest

harvest 1
harvest 2

These are the vegetables I harvested on Sunday. Four big hairy celeriac roots (below is before I trimmed the them), a couple potatoes, a couple red cabbage. Also some nice lettuce and escarole and a bunch of baby bok choy.

The celeriac are one of the first crops planted and the last ones harvested. Very slow growing. I planted Feb 21, harvested Oct 31. Almost 9 months in the ground.

celeriac

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Zazu Ta said...

Hi Kathy,

I have been reading you blog all summer and waiting for winters here in India to arrive! And now with temperatures finally reaching a minimum of 16 deg. C.... not winters exactly , I shall be going down to the nursery to buy seeds for the salad veggies.
One thing that really surprised me is that I have had a celery plant growing in the shade since September '08!! and the most surprising thing is, that it survived the heat wave, the unbearable summer ( 48 deg C). Tastes really good though. I only snip off whatever I need and don't uproot it.

November 03, 2009 3:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, does celeriac taste like celery? It sure looks interesting!

-Tina

November 03, 2009 6:27 AM

 
Blogger Susie said...

What do you use celeriac for?

November 03, 2009 6:59 AM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with the others...what does one do with celeriac?

November 03, 2009 1:08 PM

 
Blogger LoveMeKnot Creations said...

wow, 9 months? I wonder if I got a deep enough container if they would grow in it, seeing as my garden is so small I'd hate to take up part of it for 9 months :/
I did read online celeriac tastes like celery, and is used in soups a lot. Is that how you plan on using them? It almost looks like you can slice them thin enough and make 'potato' chips :)

November 03, 2009 1:31 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

Those bok choy must be a different variety from the ones I sent? They look excellent. The ones I planted for fall succumbed to slugs, pesky little things! Celeriac did really well too, I think I am going to try them next year.

November 03, 2009 9:55 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Dan,

These bok choy were in the Sand Hill Fall greens mix. I've planted this three years now and FINALLY planted it early enough to get a harvest. Its a good mix. frissee, several Chinese cabbage, kales and arugula.

The bok choy seem very much like yours. One was starting to bolt. I have no slugs left. They can be a real problem.

November 03, 2009 10:12 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

That does sound like a nice mix. They are much whiter stemmed then the ones we grew this spring, very nice.

November 05, 2009 10:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden