Tuesday, March 13, 2007

more planning

plan20001
I've been doing another revision of my 2007 garden planting diagram. I wanted to make sure I make room for all of the seeds I've mail-ordered this year. I also wanted to take into account the amount of sunlight different areas receive. We have a large tree to the east of the garden and a small tree to the west. As a result, only beds at the center of the garden get full sunlight. I am adding new space against the house, which will get full sunlight and, I expect, will also be warmer with the radiant heat from the south-facing wall.

I've found a couple of nice websites with information about plants' sunlight requirements: Growing Vegetables in the Shade and Ten Vegetables You Can Grow In Shade.

In general in this diagram, the colored blocks indicate plants that need full sun and lots of warmth. These are the fruiting vegetables, like tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, squash, cukes and beans. The green shaded blocks are the leaf and root vegetables that are OK with less sunlight, like lettuce, beets and carrots. I have bought lots of different greens seeds this year, like endive, chard, many lettuce varieties, kale, etc. I will seed these every 2 or 3 weeks all through the year as they were a great crop last year. I want to make sure I leave enough space for them, but not too much.

So here it is - another, and probably the final, revision of MY PLAN. The soil has almost thawed and I hope planting will start soon.

4 comments:

Doctor Mom said...

Will you be making raised beds in your new expansion along the north side? Your plan looks great!

kathy said...

No raised beds in the new area. I'm planning to just add compost, turn the soil, and then plant in it. I'm thinking there's a good possibility I'll only use this area a year or two for vegetables. I think it may take alot of time to tend this larger area.

Ottawa Gardener said...

No peas? I jest. My kids love peas so much that I rarely get any for myself (this year I'm putting many more in) but mostly I love them because I can stick them in the ground so early. Those and sunflowers. Unfortunately, the squirrels really like these early treats too... squirrels gotta love them? Do I?

kathy said...

The pea space is in the same bed with the beans (purple/blue). They all like the innoculant, wich I'll try for the first time this year. I did so badly with the peas last year (actually I've never had good luck with peas) but as you say, its nice to plant something real early so I'll try again.

I didn't know that sunflowers can go in early too. Thats good to know.