Tuesday, April 05, 2016

spring and then winter

We've had crazy weather for April. I was ready for spring. Well, the flowers and birds and my garden were ready too. Now we have 6 inches of snow on top of the spring plants. And icy temperatures in the 20sF. These are my photos, first of spring on April 2nd, then the return of winter on April 3rd.

My peas were sprouting, so I covered them with old oak leaves.
peas IMG_5339 peas IMG_5343

My garlic is 6 inches high. At least the snow will insulate it.
garlic IMG_5345 garlic IMG_5334

My winter tunnel will be fine. I pulled up both layers of covers. The snow just makes it hard to harvest the greens.
winter tunnel IMG_5336

The spring flowers were beautiful. These photos were taken during a mild rain. I suppose they'll all be mush once the snow melts.
magnolia IMG_5323 forsythia IMG_5333 blue weeds IMG_5349 daffodil IMG_5367 chionodoxa IMG_5325 azalea IMG_5380 andromeda IMG_5364

Here's the view of my garden and the pond beyond. One day apart.
garden view IMG_5377 garden view IMG_5414

Snow covered forsythia.
forsythia IMG_5406

I only went out to clear the driveway yesterday, but today, I'll need to go out in the backyard to tend the chickens. I'll walk down and see what the garden looks like. I'll check for those swallows. I didn't see any from the window. I think maybe they've gone back south.

2 comments:

Linda from CT said...

Hi Kathy,

My garlic is 6 inches high as well here in New Haven.I was worried it would fail after the ice storm we had yesterday. Because of the warm winter it's way ahead of schedule. Do you think our garlic will survive?

Linda

kathy said...

Yes. I looked at my garlic today. It looks fine. I do t think this weather will have any affect on garlic.