Tuesday, April 01, 2008

mail order box

another seed order seeds
Another box from Johnny's! What fun.

This one has: light weight row cover to protect my brassicas from the white butterflies this summer, thermal black plastic for my tomatoes and peppers, pins, markers, and roll of nice-looking white plastic netting for my peas. Also a few packets (15) of seeds. (Does 15 count as a few?)

The seeds include some flowers recommended in my new gardening book (Great Garden Companions) as good vegetable companions. I am looking forward to a more colorful vegetable garden this year! The flowers are: asters (China Opus), Anise hyssop, cosmos (Cosmic Orange), marigold (Signet Lemon Gem) and nasturtium (Alaska Mix and Whirlybird Mahogany).

I also got some of my favorite varieties of bush beans (Provider), radish (small tricolored easter egg) and lettuce (green summer crisp Loma) seeds to share
with my parents (shhh, don't tell them). They will start their vegetable garden soon.

Lastly, a new cover crop to try this fall - Crimson Clover. I thought I'd mix it with my rye grass. Its early to order it, but this way I'll have it ready.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

That does look like fun!

I didn't use any thermal black plastic last year, but I'm trying more peppers and eggplant this year. Maybe I should look into that...

kathy said...

I haven't used it in years. As I remember the year I used it, it worked nicely. It seems like a good year to use it again. I won't cover the entire bed though, as I want to do some companion planting.

Anonymous said...

Using the lightweight insect netting has been a revolution for us. We could not grow brassicas without it, as the cabbage white & aphids just ruin the lot. A great step forward for us!

kathy said...

Gretta (the farmer at the Belmont CSA) just warned me about the difficulties of growing broccoli as a spring crop. If the weather suddenly warms, as it often does, it will button. But still, I will plant it and spread my nice new row cover and hope for the best. Its my teen age son's favorite vegetable.