This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Friday, January 30, 2015

i'm hoping to keep bees this year

I'm hoping to keep bees! Tomorrow my bee keeping class begins. It will be six 2 hour classes. I have a bee keeping text book that I have been reading and am half way through. I am looking forward to the class.

Last fall, a friend gave me two stacks of beehives. They're out in my backyard. I've been working on putting them in a good position. Where they are now is out of the way of the sprinklers. I was pleased to see yesterday that it's a warm spot as the snow around them is melting. I think this is good, but will ask in my class.

I'd like to keep bees both as pollinators, for my vegetables and fruit trees, and for honey. I suppose there are enough native bees for pollination, but it will be interesting to keep bees and to have honey from my yard.

The hives I have are only the outer wood boxes, so I will be purchasing new inner parts. In the spring I will purchase the bees - if I pass my bee class.

c IMG_0114

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert Leavitt said...

I have kept bees, and I have many farmers in my area that keep bees, so if you need help or have a question, I can help. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I once captured a hive (with help from an old-timer) and that was really exciting.

February 02, 2015 5:53 AM

 
Blogger David said...

Oh now I am going to have to follow your adventures even more! I also keep bees and it is a great adventure even when they die in the middle of winter. Make sure you find a local bee club so you get an idea of what your winter losses are going to be like. Here in the northwest 50% survival rate is the usual. Still a lot of fun though!

February 05, 2015 2:41 PM

 
Anonymous Johanna said...

All the best to passing the class and becoming a be master. :) all I've read about bees make it sound really interesting, great that you take the step further and have your own hives.

February 06, 2015 6:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden