Saturday, January 31, 2015

2015 planting list

This is a mostly filled in list. But in mid-summer, I forgot to write down a lot of seeds that I direct sowed in the garden. Things like the lettuce, bean and carrot succession planting dates. It gets so busy then...

Winter sowing
Feb 21 - in plastic milk bottles outside in the snow
Save the Bees Mix, Botanical Interests
Bring Home the Butterflies Mix, Botanical Interests

Spring planting
Feb 21 - Indoors under lights
Celeriac, Brilliant
Onion, Pontiac
Onion, Ailsa Craig
Onion, White Wing
Onion, Red Wing
Shallot, Prisma Red
Bunching onions, Nabechan
Leeks, Bandit (late)
Leeks, King Richard (early)

Feb 27 - Indoors under lights
Broccoli, Diplomat
Broccoli, Bay Meadows
Broccoli, Mini
Cabbage, Mini Kisaku (napa type)
Cabbage, Savoy Alcosa
Radicchio, Indigo
Radicchio, Perseo
Eggplant, Prosperosa
Eggplant, Calliope

March 7 - Indoors under lights
Endive, Tres Fine
Escarole, Galia
Kale, Winterbor

March 12 - Indoors under lights
Parsley, flat leaved Italian
Greens, Sandhill's Mix
Kale, Tuscan
Kale, Red Russian

March 22 - Indoors under lights
Basil, Eleonora (Downy Mildew resistant)
Basil, Superbo
Basil, Dolce Fresca
Broccoli, Diplomat (a few plants, a second planting)
Chives, New Bolt
Chives, Garlic Geisha
Oregano, Cleopatra
Pepper, (jalepeno) Emerald Fire
Pepper,Flaming Flare
Pepper, Pretty N Sweet
Pepper, Ancho 211
Pepper, Bell ACE
Pepper, Thai Hot
Tomato, Mountain Merit, for our community garden (LB resistant)
Tomato, Polish Linguisa
Tomato, Carbone
Dianthus, Jolt Pink
Marigold, Durango
Marigold, Boy-O-Boy
Salvia, Summer Jewel White
Beets, Lutz
Beets, Merlin
Beets, Chioggia
Beets, Blankoma
Tomato (paste), Cordova
Tomato (paste), San Marzano
Tomato (paste), San Marzano Gigante 3
Tomato (paste), Stump of the World
Tomato (paste), Opalka
Tomato (paste), Nova
Tomato (paste), Polish Linguisa
Tomato (paste), Heinz 2653

March 24 - Indoors under lights
Lettuce, Leaf, Italienischer
Lettuce, Leaf, Sandy
Lettuce, Romaine, Winter Density
Lettuce, Romaine, Truchas

March 27 - Indoors under lights (all my favorite tomatoes)
Broccoli, Artwork
Tomato, Cherokee Purple
Tomato, Beefsteak
Tomato, Sungold
Tomato, Pink Beauty
Tomato, Giant Belgium
Tomato, Mortgage Lifter
Tomato, Brandywine
Tomato, Huge Lemon Oxheart
Tomato, 1884

March 29 - Indoors under lights, in paper bags
Peas (shelling), Strike
Peas (snap), Sugar Snap

April 3 - Indoors under lights
Sweet peas, Cherub dwarf white (after soaking 24 hrs in water)
Sweet pea, Royal family (soak tonight)

May 1 (about) - Direct sow in garden
Carrots, Mokum
Carrots, Bolero
Carrots, Oxheart
Radish, Roxanne
Nasturtiums, mixed

May 8 - Indoors under lights (I'm 2-3 weeks late planting these seeds)
Winter squash, Waltham Butternut
Winter squash, Butterscotch
Winter squash, Blue Ballet
Winter squash, Jarrahdale pumpkin
Cucumbers, Diva
Cucumbers, Salt and Pepper
Cucumbers, Parisian Gherkin
Cucumbers, Corinto
Cucumbers, Tokiwa
Cucumbers, Sooyow Nish
Cucumbers, Straight 8
Summer squash, yellow, Slick Pick
Summer squash, yellow, Yellow Crook
Summer squash, scallop, Early white bush
Summer squash, scallop, Starship
Summer squash, zucchini, Bosso Nova
Summer squash, zucchini, Costata Romanescu
Zinnia, California Giant
Zinnia, Cook's blend
Zinnia, Giant Fantasy

May 18 (about) - Direct sow in garden
Potatoes, Russett Cannela

June 7 - Direct sow in garden
Green beans, Maxibel
Edamame soybeans, Butterbeans
Edamame soybeans, (forgot the name)

June 25 (about) - Direct sow in garden
Green beans, Fortex
Pole beans, Wax
Shell beans, Black Turtle

July, 25 (about) - Direct sow in garden
Green beans, Jumbo

For my fall harvest or winter garden under plastic protection
August 1 - In pots outside
Happy Rich (55 days)
Bok Choi, BoPak, 2015 AAS winner (60 days)
Bok Choi, Mei Qing (45 days)
Bok Choi, Win Win (52 days)
Bok Choi, Pechay (60 days)
Escarole, Natacha (50 days)
Lettuce, Skyphos (47 days)
Lettuce, Oakleaf (47 days)
Lettuce, Sylvestra (52 days)

August 5 - In pots outside
Broccoli, Bay Meadows (60 days)
Broccoli, Artwork, 2015 AAS winner (85 days)
Broccoli, Arcadia (63 days)
Cucumber, Miniature White (50 days)*
Cucumber, North Carolina Pickling (60-65 days)*
Cucumber, Salt and Pepper (49 days)*
(*note: cucumbers did not produce - planted too late)
Endive, Tres Fine (45-70 days)
Endive, Dubuisson (50 days)
Radicchio, Indigo (65 days)
Napa Cabbage, Mini Kisaku (50-55 days)

For my winter garden that will be under plastic protection
September 6 - In pots outside (10 weeks before Persephone)
Kale, Red Russian
Kale, Vates
Blanching Onions, Nabechan
Radicchio, Perseo

September 10 - In pots outside (9 weeks before Persephone)
Collards, Flash
Swiss chard, Peppermint
Cilantro, Calypso
Lettuce, Bibb, Winter Density
Lettuce, Romaine, Truchas
Lettuce, Butterhead, Skyphos
Escarole, Natacha
Endive, Tres Fine
Mustard Greens, Ruby Streaks
Daikon Radish, Miyashige

September 11 - In pots outside
Turnip, Scarlet Queen Red Stems

9 comments:

Connie Murray said...

Excellent list. I am always either too late or too early with my indoor under lights planting. Last year I was so late planting tomatoes that I used tomato seedlings I found growing in the small greenhouse I have where I had throw some old compost! All of the tomato plants turned out to be cherry tomatoes. Will be sure to grow paste and big slicers under the lights this year!

kathy said...

Too late or too early! Did you try my garden calendar? You can make your calendar on-line. Its at the top of my side bar.

And... I'm really excited that I have an update coming out really soon that is really cool. (really) I don't want to say more 'til its ready. Check back!

Unknown said...

I have done a ton of "garden blog" reading, and her calendar is one of the best I have found.

I just planted...carrots and lettuce and spinich, but I went right in the ground, because I live in Florida!

Connie Murray said...

Wonderful! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Kathy - I am looking for a calendar app that will tell me when to expect to HARVEST what I have planted so that when I enter a crop, say easy peasy peas on March 8th that have a 62 day maturity, it will post the appropriate harvest date.

It would be lovely to be able to work backwards as well, so that if you wanted to harvest 'early and often' corn on ht e4th of july, said app would suggest a planting date. I would not expect the app to know the maturity dates of the plant, just to be able to input that info and have the calendar post to the correct date. Do you know of any such app?

Thanks for your attention, Sue

kathy said...

I haven't looked around at apps too much. You could check the one at Mother Earth. It's kindof expensive at about $25, but seems to do a lot of things. Let me know if you find one. AND if you don't let me know. Sounds like something we could put on our to-do list.

Ronnie said...

Kathy-
I am wondering about spring sowing of lettuce, Chinese greens, broccoli rabe, spinach, beets....
Did I miss these on your calendar?

kathy said...

Yes. They're missing. I got behind this year and forgot to write down a bunch of things I planted. I also planted a bunch of things very late. I wrote "about" for some things I remembered later but didn't know the actual date. I need a better method of recording. Maybe I'll do better this year.

Please don't go by this list for your plantings. Those things are on our app so you can find the right planting time there.

(I never plant rabe because I can't cook it well. So that's why it's not there.)

kathy said...

I found some plant labels for my lettuce plantings and added them to this 2015 list! better later than never? Maybe I'll find more labels as I get ready to plant for this year.