Monday, February 01, 2010

a walk in Boston

boston 8
boston 1 boston 2
boston 4 boston 9

c o l d c o l d c o l d

Skippy and I went for a different route today for our walk. Boston is only a couple miles away, but not usually our destination. Today I had a little business nearby, so we walked from MIT along the Charles River, up by the Museum of Science and then down the Boston side, over the Longfellow Bridge and then back to our starting point. Yes it was chilly, cold, windy, brrr.

The river is mostly frozen over now after a couple weeks of bitter cold here. There are big sections of ice in geometric patterns pushing up against each other. And there are a few areas of open water where massive water pumps below are forcing turbulence.

In the open water are plastic wrapped yachts and flocks of ducks. Amazing that the ducks hang out here. Toes in the water. I'm cold just watching them.

The icy wind blew Skippy's ears almost off his head, and my hair was blown everywhere. And there was also the noisy T (train). Back and forth every few minutes and LOUD!

Skippy enjoyed a little park on the Boston side of the river, behind the fields by MGH (Massachusetts General Hospital), where he could run free and check out the water. He's a true water dog and looked at home scaling the icy rocks on the banks.

Skippy has a thick long winter coat now. I have been marveling at it and tell his groomer to let it grow a bit more. Shiny, warm, velveteen and black as night. Beautiful. (I just had my plain old red fleece....)

Well, it was a fun walk. Maybe we'll check the river out again after it warms up....

7 comments:

Dan said...

Nice shots Kathy, the lighting looks like it was perfect today in Boston. It has been really cold here as well, couple nights at 5f. Looks like we will warm up by Weds.

D said...

Why is your dog so cute? I love this group of pictures!

Folkways Note Book said...

Cold but heart-warming to know the bond between dog and owner -- a walk that was heart-warming for both -- barbara

Matron said...

I remember walking through Boston just a little over a year ago. Such a wonderful mix of the old and the new! Skippys coat sounds wonderful, I bet it's nice and warm!

Nathan (2af) said...

Those really are some nice photos you captured.

Anonymous said...

Kathy - Your pictures are wonderful! Boston is my favourite city, so exciting, but I don't get to visit very often. Just reading about your walk gave me a chill! Skippy is so handsome - love the picture in the lower right corner!
- Daisy in AZ (where it was 71 and sunny today)

Toni said...

How awesome to be so close to Boston! Thank you for sharing this post!

I used to work for Fisher College on Beacon St. I loved walking all around Boston.

Oh oh... I'm feeling a little home sick... Could be time for a trip back east this spring!