This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010


paperwhites 4

These are opening much faster than I expected. Its only been 8 days!



Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew some paperwhites around Christmas time, and they lasted a while once they bloomed. Im letting the folige die back, kind of like tulips, for 6 weeks, before I trim them. Im kind of guessing at it. Are you saving your bulbs for next year, and if so, how will you go bout it?

February 03, 2010 10:28 PM

Blogger kathy said...

You can try planting them in the garden and if its a great spot maybe they'll bloom again someday. But usually the process of forcing exhausts the bulbs. Amaryllis are the only bulbs I "re-force". I'll compost these.

Here's a great series of Q and As about this at Garden Web.

February 03, 2010 10:54 PM

Blogger victoria T. said...

A touch of spring, Kathy, and I'll bet it's none too soon for you! Hope you'll also show us the final blossoms.

February 05, 2010 10:06 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden