Monday, February 22, 2010

mums

valentine 078 valentine 085

These are a couple mums from my Valentines Day bouquet. (Thanks hubby :) They remind me of a beautiful mum my parents grow (Chrysanthemum Sheffield Pink) that I'd like to have in my garden. Since I found a bunch of milk bottles in my neighbor's recycling bin today, I think I'll mail order these seeds (and some other perennial flowers) and set up a few more winter sowing bottles.

- Oops, looks like Sheffield Pink doesn't breed true from seed. I'll have to see if my parents can divide theirs. For the bottles, I think I'll sow dill, thyme and rudbeckia.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

I always look forward to my 'Sheffield Pink' in the fall. These photos are lovely, especially the pink one!

Lucky-1 said...

Our Chrysanthemums are out in flower in May for our Mother's day in Australia.

Trisha said...

Can you tell me more about sowing in a milk bottle? Will you leave the plants there? What are the advantages over sowing in the ground? Is this just container gardening, or something different? Thanks! I enjoy your blog and am learning lots.

Joe said...

Very nice shots!