This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Friday, April 04, 2008

a pea sprout!

pea sprout
Definitely a cause for celebration! I found a little green pea sprout out in the rain today. A Sugar Spring snap pea. Yippee! Not much to look at yet.

These were planted on March 18th (17 days ago).

7 Comments:

Blogger gintoino said...

Funny to see that your first snow peas are emerging. Mine are long gone...

April 04, 2008 3:24 PM

 
Blogger alec said...

congrats! I WAS INUNDATED with rain last night, and today, 68 degrees, the radishes are beggining to sprout. also, th eminute flowered cherry trees are blooming.whats blooming near you?

April 04, 2008 6:22 PM

 
Blogger Arthur said...

Natick MA
I noticed some spinach sprouts today that I also planted on March 18. Maybe we are turning the corner. Indeed a reason to celebrate!

April 04, 2008 7:23 PM

 
OpenID smarttart said...

I planted peas indoors and they sprouted very quickly. I grew them for the sole purpose of eating pea shoots, so I've already harvested some.

April 05, 2008 2:21 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

What a great idea - to plant peas just to eat the sprouts!. I am making a special point this year to plant enough seeds to eat lots of tendrils! I bet the shouts are even sweeter.

April 05, 2008 8:39 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

hi Arthur, Turning the corner into spring! As I look up into the trees, which are ALMOST starting to leaf, it seems sooo close. Soon it will be a green warm hot humid summer. The anticipation is probably the best time of year.

- spinach sprouts sound good. I have a package of spinach seeds to go in tomorrow. I've never grown spinach, but we do eat it often.

April 05, 2008 8:44 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

hi Alec, I'll have to go out with my camera soon to show what's blooming here. I LOVE your daffodil photo on your blog. Here we have a few daffodils just opening today. And I think maybe the quince down the road will bloom very soon. The silver and swamp maples have frilly red blossoms this week. No cherries yet. But soon...

April 05, 2008 8:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden