Monday, April 28, 2008

carrot bed

planted carrot bed
Yesterday morning I planted a bed full of carrots, parsnips and onions at my new community garden plot. I planted seeds for the carrot varieties Mokum, Oxheart and Coreless Amsterdam and the parsnip variety Cobham Improved Marrow. Also Stuttgart onion sets. I alternated carrots with onions, hoping the rabbits won't smell the carrots with all the onion smell. We have two days of rain coming, so I think they'll get off to a good start.

Daucus carota

6 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I was doing the same thing Sunday morning, but with my second seeding of peas and turnips, not carrots. Two days of rain will be perfect to get every thing to spout.

I've never gotten carrots to grow in my garden. They are always eaten by something before I get my turn. Hmm onions with the carrots. Maybe I'll try that next year if it works for you. This year all my sunny spots have been spoken for.

kathy said...

I'm ready to put another layer of chicken wire over the bed if need be. I'd really like to eat these carrots myself!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of carrots...yesterday morning, while I had the dogs outside for their morning "functions", I was clearning a section of the garden of last year's weeds and uncovered five carrots that had wintered over! What a nice surprise!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you got more planted. I can't wait to see this garden when everything starts growing. It will be so pretty!

kathy said...

Your lucky to have carrots overwinter!

And about a pretty garden - I hope so. I'm ready for some green and some flowers in my garden instead of the dirt!

Anonymous said...

And they were tasty carrots, too! I think they were very well insulated under the weeds, plus our ground never freezes too hard, usually.